10 Investigates: Resources

General Consumer Complaints

The Ohio Attorney General’s consumer complaint division investigates all manner of complaints from consumers, except utility matters. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/File-A-Complaint.aspx Phone: (800)282-0515

The Better Business Bureau handles complaints and offers information about businesses as well as tips on non-profit charities. http://www.bbb.org/centralohio/get-to-know-us/contact/ Phone:(614)486-6336

For help resolving disputes with landlords, call the Columbus Urban League Housing Division at 614-257-6300 for more information about tenant rights. http://www.cul.org/cul-financial-empowerment-serv/

The Ohio Department of Insurance handles consumer complaints about insurance companies. http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/Consumer/OCS/Pages/ConsCompl.aspx Phone: (800)686-1526


Utility complaints

Two agencies handle consumer calls in Ohio: the Public Utilities Commission https://www.puc.state.oh.us/secure/PicForm/index.cfm?intype=complaint (800)-686-7826 and the Ohio Consumer’s Counsel http://www.occ.ohio.gov/contact/question.php (877)742-5622


Do Not Call lists

For more information on Ohio’s Telemarketing and Do Not Call Registryhttp://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Business/Services-for-Business/Business-Guide/Telemarketing-and-Do-Not-Call-Registry For the federal registry, visit the FTC’s website, www.ftc.gov.

The Federal Trade Commission also investigates consumer complaints against businesses. To report fraud, identity theft, or an unfair business practices http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc Phone: (877)382-4357



Legislators sometimes provide services to help constituents resolve problems.

Find your state representative http://www.ohiohouse.gov/ Find your state senator http://ohiosenate.gov/index

U.S. Senate http://www.senate.gov/index.htm U.S. House of Representatives http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/


Health Issues

City of Columbus service center takes calls for city services http://311.columbus.gov/

For Columbus Health inspections on restaurants and other businesses http://www.columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=56642

Franklin County Board of Health inspection reports http://www.myfcph.org/fir

Columbus Code Enforcement Division for unsafe properties http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=22714

Central Ohio information and referral network for social services help http://www.handsoncentralohio.org/


Legal help

For a simple referral to an attorney, check the Columbus Bar Associationhttp://www.cbalaw.org/cba_prod/Main/Resources/Public/LRS.aspx (877)560-1014.

There are also several agencies that provide free or reduced cost legal help to those who meet income guidelines, including:

Ohio Legal Services Association http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/oslsa.

The Legal Aid Society of Columbus https://www.columbuslegalaid.org/.

Ohio Supreme Court attorney directory http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/AttySvcs/AttyReg/Public_AttorneyInformation.asp.


Workplace Issues

Ohio Department of Commerce for wage complaints http://www.com.ohio.gov/dico/PWComplaintInstructions.aspx

United States Department of Labor Hour and Wage Division http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm

For complaints about workplace discrimination, contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm (800)669-4000 or the Ohio Civil Rights Commission http://crc.ohio.gov/ (888)278-7101

The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation for concerns about workplace safety https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/employer/services/safetyhygiene.asp