Woman sues Olive Garden, claims stuffed mushroom severely burned her throat

File photo - Olive Garden (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
Published:

FORT WORTH, Texas (WTHR) – A Texas woman is suing the popular Italian restaurant chain Olive Garden after she experienced severe burns and trouble breathing when she ate a stuffed mushroom.

Danny Howard claims an extremely hot stuffed mushroom got lodged in her throat, which caused her to temporarily stop breathing and resulted in severe burns.

Howard filed the lawsuit against Olive Garden March 8. In the lawsuit, she alleges that the restaurant didn't warn her that the mushrooms were extremely hot.

Advertisement - Story continues below

When it was served to her, there was no warning that would indicate that the “mushrooms were particularly hot or (carried) the risk to cause severe burns,” according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit says that Howard “frantically shuffled through the restaurant in need of help,” but was unable to speak. She eventually vomited in a kitchen station.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that after Howard went home, she decided she needed to see a doctor. As she drove herself to the hospital, her throat began to close, according to the lawsuit.

Howard was transported to Harris Methodist Hospital and then went on a Careflight to the Burn Unit of Parkland Hospital in Dallas.

Howard claims the restaurant was negligent for not warning her about the mushrooms. She is seeking $200,000 to $1 million in damages.