Woman apologizes for cashing check from Reagan Tokes memorial fund


COLUMBUS -- A Columbus woman is apologizing to the family of murdered Ohio State student Reagan Tokes after admitting to cashing a fraudulent check worth $700.

Marsha Ellen Frazier admits that much but says she didn't know the funds were withdrawn from the memorial fund that Lisa and Toby Tokes had set up to provide scholarships to other students following their daughter's murder.

"I just want to apologize to the family," Marsha Ellen Frazier told reporters during a news conference at her attorney's office.

When pressed further, she said: "I'm sorry. From the bottom of my heart."

Court records allege that Frazier cashed a counterfeit check with $700 at a Checksmart store in Columbus on July 28. Lisa McCrary-Tokes first noticed the money was missing from the account and notified police in their hometown of Maumee, OH which alerted Columbus police after learning a check with the fund's account number was cashed here.

Frazier, who is facing a forgery charge, admits to her involvement, initially told 10 Investigates last week that she was "tricked" into cashing a bogus check by an acquaintance she met.

Frazier's attorney, Regina Griffith, said her client has a mental disability, cannot read or write and was given $200 of the $700 after cashing the check at a Checksmart location in the Short North neighborhood.

Griffith said there were two attempts to cash the bogus check - the second of which involved the Short North location.

"I am so sorry that all of this happened," Frazier said.

The Tokes family told 10 Investigates last week that it was "sickening, shocking and unbelievable" that someone would steal from a scholarship fund set up to help others.

10TV reached out to the Tokes again on Wednesday, but they declined to comment further.

Griffith says her client will be in court again on Friday but expects the case will be dismissed and transferred to the Franklin County Common Pleas Court. She said Frazier continues to cooperate with authorities as they investigate who is behind the scheme.

A Columbus Police spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

Filed under: