What's Going Around: Holiday Choking Risks


Whether you’re a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, before you wrap the presents with care, it is even more critical to be certain you are giving the most appropriate gift. Following the age recommendations for children’s games and toys is more than a suggestion, it is a matter of health and safety.

Emergency room experts said each week they treat pediatric patients of all ages for symptoms that arise from swallowing small toy pieces and even button batteries, “Batteries are particularly dangerous because they can get leak their fluid-- they can be corroded and have chemicals inside and cause a chemical burn which can eat through the lining of the intestine or the stomach or the esophagus if it gets stuck there,” said Dr. Mike Patrick of Nationwide Children’s Hospital Emergency Medicine.

If your child swallows a button battery--call 911 or head to the emergency department immediately. Do not try to induce vomiting and don't let your child eat or drink. It is imperative to tell E-R/urgent care staff that you suspect your child swallowed a battery. They will work to remove the battery to prevent further injury.