Suspect in slayings of boy, 3 adults arraigned

Man accused of killing family members in custody
Lawson to face judge tomorrow

The suspect in the deadly shootings of an 8-year-old boy and three adults has been arrested after a manhunt in far southern Ohio that lasted more than a day.

Lawrence County Sheriff Jeffery Lawless says 23-year-old Arron Lawson was arrested without incident Friday morning while walking along a road after authorities got a tip from someone who spotted him.

Bond was not set at Lawson's arraignment Saturday morning. His bond hearing is scheduled for Monday at 3 p.m.

Lawrence County Prosecutor Brigham Anderson told The Associated Press on Saturday that evidence in the case will be presented to a grand jury Wednesday. He said he plans to seek the death penalty. Anderson wouldn't discuss details of the case or a possible motive for the slayings.


Lawson is suspected in the shooting deaths of four people including an 8-year-old boy, whose body was apparently hidden in a home where the others were also found, authorities said.

Lawrence County Sheriff Jeffery Lawless identified the victims as 8-year-old Devin Holston, 25-year-old Staci M. Jackson, 43-year-old Tammi L. McGuire and 50-year-old Donald McGuire.

Lawrence County sheriff's deputies found the bodies of three adults inside a house trailer Wednesday evening. While at the scene, they were told that the young boy also lived there and had not been seen. Authorities issued a missing-child alert and spent hours searching for Devin Holston only to find the child dead inside the same house trailer, his body apparently hidden. The sheriff said all four victims found in the home did have gunshot wounds.

Lawrence County Sheriff Jeffery Lawless said a fourth adult who came upon the scene after work was stabbed there and fled to seek help. That person was later flown to a hospital in Huntington, West Virginia.

Around 12:30 a.m. Thursday, deputies spotted Lawson in a blue truck in Ironton, about 15 miles south of where the victims were found, the sheriff said. Deputies chased Lawson before he crashed his vehicle into a ditch and ran into the woods.

Sheriff Lawless said that Lawson was related to some of the victims and that he lived within a quarter-mile of the home where the bodies were found.

Filed under: