HOMESTEAD, Fla. — A NASCAR team changed up the paint scheme on its No. 47 car, featuring the "Thin Blue Line" flag in support of law enforcement and first responders.
NASCAR Xfinity Series driver Kyle Weatherman debuted the car Saturday at Homestead-Miami Speedway. In addition to the flag, the car has the "#BackTheBlue" hashtag on its side and a sliver of the American flag on the bottom.
Mike Harmon Racing tweeted the big reveal Saturday, saying, "Mike Harmon Racing supports our LEO’s and First Responders, we THANK YOU for your service, sacrifice and dedication!!"
The "Thin Blue Line" car comes days after Cup Series driver Bubba Wallace, the only black driver in NASCAR, drove a "#BlackLivesMatter" paint scheme at Martinsville Speedway.
Amid nationwide protests and unrest following the death of George Floyd, a black man who died in Minneapolis police custody, Wallace has called upon NASCAR to ban the Confederate flag at its events as many see it as a symbol of racism and slavery.
It was about a day before NASCAR did just that, saying, "the presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans."
The "Thin Blue Line" flag also has drawn its own sort of controversy after white nationalists groups in support for police and in opposition to the Black Lives Matter movement waved it during the 2017 United the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA Today reported.
- 2,016 new COVID-19 cases mark 2nd highest surge Florida has seen in a single day
- Tarpon Spring restaurant closes after COVID-19 exposure
- Downtown St. Pete bars close after employees test positive for COVID-19
- Rayshard Brooks shooting: Police bodycam footage released in Wendy's shooting
- Off-duty FWC officer shot, killed in South Florida
- 2 gas skimmers found at Sarasota gas station
- CDC posts everyday tips for minimizing COVID-19 risk
- Waterspout spotted off Clearwater Beach
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter