COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes officially have their QB 1.
In his weekly press conference Tuesday, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day named third-year quarterback Kyle McCord the starter moving forward.
Day said Devin Brown will still play, but that McCord has "really stepped up and deserves to be the starter."
WATCH: Ryan Day, Jim Knowles press conference | Ohio State-Western Kentucky week
McCord threw for three touchdowns in the first half of Ohio State's 35-7 win over Youngstown State last week. He was 14 for 20 for 258 yards for the game.
It was a solid bounce-back for McCord and the Buckeyes' offense against a lesser opponent after a shaky opener at Indiana.
"Regardless of the opponent, when you play in Ohio Stadium, you get your second chance and you see how people are gonna react," Day said. "[McCord] was a lot more poised in this game than the first one. I think that's natural, so we'll see if we can build on that."
Devin Brown, a sophomore, got the first significant playing time of his career against Youngstown State last week, completing 7 of 13 passes for 101 yards.
Ohio State's 2023 schedule:
- Sept. 2 – at Indiana | W 23-3
- Sept. 9 – Youngstown State | W 35-7
- Sept. 16 – Western Kentucky (4 p.m.; FOX)
- Sept. 23 – at Notre Dame (7:30 p.m.; NBC & Peacock)
- Sept. 30 – Off
- Oct. 7 – Maryland/Homecoming (noon/3:30 p.m./4 p.m.; TBD)
- *Oct. 14 – at Purdue
- *Oct. 21 – Penn State
- *Oct. 28 – at Wisconsin
- *Nov. 4 – at Rutgers
- Nov. 11 – Michigan State (7:30 p.m.; NBC)
- *Nov. 18 – Minnesota
- Nov. 25 – at Michigan (noon; FOX)
- Dec. 2 – Big Ten Championship Game (8 p.m.; FOX)