DUBLIN, Ohio — Fans will no longer be allowed to attend the Memorial Tournament in Dublin next week.
The PGA and the tournament made the announcement Monday, saying in a statement the decision was made "due to the rapidly changing dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic."
Last month, the tournament announced some fans were going to be able to attend the golf event with safety protocols in place including masks and temperature checks.The plan was to have up to 20 percent maximum capacity.
“We had a good plan in place, and I could not be more proud of everyone who contributed to it. In the end, we have the responsibility to recognize the health and safety of the players and all who attend the Memorial Tournament. We, in partnership with Nationwide and the PGA TOUR, will now focus on presenting the best-possible Memorial Tournament we can for the players and for the many fans watching at home and around the world on Golf Channel and CBS," Jack Nicklaus said.
“The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide and the PGA TOUR have made the right decision in not allowing spectators to attend this year,” Governor Mike DeWine said in a statement provided by the tournament.
The Memorial Tournament is scheduled July 14-19 at the Muirfield Village Golf Club.