Mission Statement: The mission of The 2nd & 7 Foundation is to promote reading by providing free books and positive role models to kids in need while encouraging young athletes of the community to pay it forward.
Serving Since 1999: The 2nd & 7 Foundation was started 20 years ago by three former Ohio State football players Mike Vrabel, Luke Fickell and Ryan Miller.
Why ‘2nd & 7’: The foundation was born from funds generated by the first annual FUNdamental Football Camp organized by Ryan, Mike and Luke. The camp generated enough money to buy books to hand out to SEVEN different SECOND grade classrooms. After doing some research on childhood literacy, the founders decided that their outreach would focus on 2nd graders. Referencing the familiar down and distance term used in football, the foundation became known as The 2nd & 7 Foundation.
Highlights: We are celebrating our 20th Anniversary in 2019, and have distributed over 300,000 books since 1999. This past year alone, over 67,000 were handed out to children across the country as a part of our reading program.
While our roots and our office are in central Ohio, we are proud to say we now have nearly 200 programs being implemented in 26 states. That means high school and college student-athletes all across the country are reading to the 2nd graders in their communities.
Our Books: The foundation writes and publishes its own line of children’s books and is now working on the 12th book in that series. Each book contains a life lesson and is endorsed by a celebrity. These are the books that children receive through our TACKLING ILLITERACY Reading Program.
The Hog Mollies and The ….
- 2008 - Pickle Pie Party (Teamwork/Jim Tressel)
- 2009 - Rocky Relay Race (Try Your Best/Bill Belichick)
- 2010 - Zooming Zackle Zoit (Do The Right Thing/Thad Matta)
- 2011 - Amazing Aquatic Adventure (Michael Coleman/Be Yourself)
- 2012 - Camp Carmen Campfire (Patience, Practice, Persistence/Archie Griffin)
- 2013 - Great Golden Gizmo (Kindness Is Contagious/Urban Meyer)
- 2014 - Big Birthday Bash (Be A Good Sport/Jack & Barbara Nicklaus)
- 2015 - Sloopy the Silver Snake (Prevent Bullying/Jack Hanna)
- 2016 - Huddle’s Healthy Halo (Healthy Choices/John Glenn)
- 2017 - Dream Discovery Day (Dreams/Luke Fickell)
- 2018 - Mummy’s Mystery Maze (Manners/Mike Vrabel)
Fundraising: The program is supported by donations from individuals and corporate partners. Throughout the year, we host the following events in Columbus to help support our outreach: Football Camp (June), Celebrity 8-Ball Shootout (June), Pay It FOREward Golf Outing (late summer/early fall) and The Derby (March). On June 29, 2019, The 2nd & 7 Foundation will host a 20th Anniversary Gala at the Scottenstein Center.