Records: Man accused of killing Rachael Anderson required to wear GPS monitor


COLUMBUS - Anthony Pardon stood silently in court Tuesday as a prosecutor read aloud a nine-count indictment charging him with the aggravated murder, rape and kidnapping of 24-year old Rachael Anderson.

It wasn't his first time in court. That happened when he was 10.

Pardon, who pleaded not guilty to his current charges, has a lengthy criminal history that includes a 1980 juvenile conviction from raping a nine-month-old child.

In 1982, he was convicted of attempted murder, robbery and rape for trying to drown a woman behind the Valley Dale Ballroom. Pardon spent 24 years in prison in Ohio following that conviction, O'Brien said.

It is for those reasons that Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien said his office is seeking the death penalty against Pardon.

"There are some people who can't conform their conduct to the law. And it at least is alleged that he is one of them," O'Brien told reporters Tuesday.

10 Investigates has uncovered court documents from Georgia that raise questions about if Pardon should have been more closely watched in Ohio.

In 2007, Pardon was convicted in Floyd County, Georgia of forgery and failing to register as a sex offender. He served ten years in prison there, with an additional 20 years to be served on probation.

Records obtained by 10 Investigates state that Pardon is required to "wear a GPS ankle monitor and pay all expenses." Pardon was transferred to Ohio in 2017 as part of an interstate compact with Georgia.

An ODRC spokeswoman confirmed that Pardon "was on probation through the interstate compact with Georgia" but has not answered additional follow-up emails or phone calls that would answer if Pardon was assigned a GPS ankle monitor in Ohio.

Booking video from the Franklin County Jail obtained by 10 Investigates from the night Pardon was arrested do not show deputies removing a GPS device.

O'Brien did not immediately respond to a follow-up email seeking clarity.

10 investigates stopped by the house on Monday where Pardon had been staying prior to his arrest in early February on charges of Anderson's murder.

A woman who identified herself as Pardon's sister invited us inside. Anthony Pardon happened to be on the phone calling from the jail at the time. 10 Investigates asked Pardon a few questions about the terms of his probation but he declined to answer. His sister then told us to leave.

Police have released few details about Rachael Anderson's murder other than her body was found in the closet of her Columbus apartment on Jan. 29 and that it appeared she had been tortured.

O'Brien said Tuesday that Pardon and Anderson were strangers and that Pardon had entered Anderson's Columbus apartment without her permission and attacked her.

"It was a crime of opportunity," O'Brien said.

Tina Kennedy, Rachael Anderson's friend, appeared in court Tuesday. She said she came to learn more about the case against Pardon.

When asked if she thought the capital murder charges were appropriate she said, yes, adding: "He never should have been let out of jail in the first place. He never should have had a chance to this again."

Kennedy said that her friend returned to her apartment around 2 p.m. on January 28. Friends worried about Rachael Anderson after she did not show up to work at a Columbus funeral home on Monday, Jan. 29th and called 911.

Kennedy said she wanted others to remember her friend as she did.

"She was amazing. She was sweet. She was kind. Loving, caring, She had a huge heart. She would help anyone she could. She was great. She was an amazing person."

Pardon is being held on no bond.