Police: Franklin County Judge had bruised face, vomit in car when arrested for OVI


Judge Monica Hawkins was elected to Franklin County's Domestic Relations Court in November. She has only been on the bench for a few weeks.

Thursday night she was behind the wheel when police say she shouldn't have been.

According to a Pickerington police report obtained by 10TV, another driver called 911 to report "the vehicle in front of him was all over the roadway."

Advertisement - Story continues below

The responding officer says she saw Hawkins' Infiniti "almost struck the curb," make a "marked lanes violation," and "abrupt stops while driving."

She pulled Hawkins over, and says as she approached, she could "immediately smell a strong odor of alcoholic beverage."

The officer writes she "noticed a large knot on Monica's forehead on the right side that had appeared to be bleeding. When I asked her about the knot, she advised it was old and happened earlier. The right side of her face was beginning to bruise."

The officer called a medic, but Hawkins refused medical attention.

The report says "She was asked several times on scene if the head injury had any effect on her driving ability and she advised no."

Hawkins allegedly told the officer she was coming from a downtown Columbus restaurant- "she didn't know the name."

The officer "noticed what appeared to be vomit on the left collar area of her brown pea coat."

"When she stepped out of the vehicle, I noticed a large amount of vomit on the driver's side floorboard panel area," the report says.

"She had a hard time fumbling for her wallet. She began telling me that she is a judge for Franklin County."

The officer says Hawkins could not complete field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest.

Hawkins refused to take a breathalyzer according to the report, so a Fairfield County Judge issued a warrant for a blood sample.

The report says Hawkins resisted to the point that Ohio Health security held her down to obtain the sample.

Hawkins was issued a summons to appear in court on February 14th, and released to the custody of her family.

Hawkins was back on the bench Monday, conducting hearings as normal. There was visible bruising on her face.

She denied 10TV's request to have a camera in her courtroom, and also declined to comment.

Filed under: