People in east Columbus shocked by tornado, say there was no warning


The sounds of chainsaws echoed, Wednesday, in an east Columbus neighborhood.

It was a reminder of what happened.

Michelle Miller says there was no warning.

Advertisement - Story continues below

"[I] got woke up to what sounded like a jet plane getting ready to fly through my house and then I hear trees falling everywhere," she said.

A quick tornado damaged her house causing eight holes in her roof. She says it took a few minutes to walk outside because of downed trees at the front and back doors.

"It looked pretty bad, initially, and then the fire truck came and he shined the lights and I'm like 'Oh, my God'," she said.

Miller says a trailer parked in her driveway was lifted by the winds and went into a window of a neighboring home. The trailer also landed on top of a vehicle that she planned to give to her 13-year-old daughter as her first car.

"We're just lucky to be alive and these people over here they don't even have a home to live in," Miller said.

Casey Wolfe and her family live across the street.

"We're not even lucky," she said. "We're blessed. We could be dead."

Wolfe and her family were up, dressed and ready for work, Wednesday morning when the tornado hit.

"It went pitch black and it was like a domino effect," she said. "I could just see the kitchen caving in."

She grabbed her two children and got in the bathroom. Shortly after, she says the roof in her kitchen caved in.

"If this would have been 20 minutes earlier, we would have been in our kitchen getting ready for work," Wolfe said. "That could have been us."

In her backyard, big trees were ripped from the ground.

Tornado damage in east Columbus

Wolfe says the American Red Cross is helping her family stay in a hotel Wednesday night because the fire department declared her house was unlivable. The American Red Cross Ohio Buckeye Region says it is helping five families that were affected by the tornado.

AEP Ohio says at the time of the storm at 6 a.m., about 6,000 customers were without power. By 4 p.m., Wednesday, that number was down to about 900.

"Our customers have been great and have been patient with us and understanding," AEP Ohio Emergency Preparedness Manager, Dave Callahan, said. "We'll keep working until we get them back on."