Saturday, May 13, is National Apple Pie Day.
And what better way to celebrate than with an apple pie recipe.
Joining us this morning is dietitian and nutritionist, Kelly Schmidt, from Kelly Schmidt Wellness.
Allergen Friendly Apple Pie
• 2 Wholly Wholesome 9" Gluten Free Pie Shell
• 6 medium sized granny smith apples, sliced
• 1/2 cup coconut sugar
• 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice apples, and place in a Wholly Wholesome Gluten Free Pie Shell. The apples will be piled high but will cook down in the oven. Sprinkle sugar/cinnamon mixture over apples.
2. Spoon coconut oil and place on top of apples. Add second pie shell over apples and crimp pie edges. Poke a hole in top crust to allow air to escape during baking. Place pie on a sheet pan and bake in a preheated oven at 375° for 30 minutes or until top is browned. You will know the pie is done when a paring knife can be easily inserted into the center and the apples are tender.