Gov. Mike DeWine announced Dr. Joan Duwve has withdrawn her name for consideration for the position of director for the Ohio Department of Health.
In a statement released Thursday evening, Gov. DeWine's office said Dr. Duwve cited personal reasons for the decision.
During his press briefing earlier in the day, DeWine named Dr. Duwve as the replacement for Dr. Amy Acton, who stepped down from the position in June.
Lance Himes will continue to serve as the interim director.
Dr. Duwve, an Ohio native, was recently working in South Carolina as the Director of Public Health at their Department of Health and Environmental Control.
The governor's office said his administration will continue its search for a full-time director.
On Friday, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) announced Dr. Duwve is moving on from her role there as the public health director.
“Understandably, Joan has made a career decision that she feels is in the best interest of her family and we respect this decision,” said acting SCDHEC Director Marshall Taylor.
“Joan is a brilliant physician who is passionate about public health and we greatly appreciate the time she spent with DHEC as our director of Public Health. We wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors.”