Breaking News
More () »

Newly-released records, interviews detail terror of OSU attack

Newly-released public records are offering insights into the day terror came to the Ohio State campus.

Newly-released public records are offering insights into the day terror came to the Ohio State campus.

For the first time, we are hearing from the police officer who stopped the suspect in the OSU attack last November. We're also getting a clearer picture of the suspect and the moments leading up to the attack that injured 9 people.

Just-released video obtained by 10TV shows Abdul Razak Ali Artan buying a set of chef's knives the morning of November 28.

Two hours and twenty-two minutes later, public safety cameras show his silver Honda Civic arriving on campus.

Nine minutes later, he posted a statement to Facebook, saying he was "sick and tired of my fellow Muslim brothers and sisters being tortured EVERYWHERE."

Three minutes later: chaos on campus, as emergency calls flood in that a vehicle has struck pedestrians.

Crowds were gathered outside of Watts Hall, evacuated by a fire alarm when Artan plowed through.

Police recordings detail what witnesses saw.

"[I]started hearing the car come into the students, saw a few, a bunch of them, jump out of the way, a few get hit and kind of go flying," said OSU Professor Tyler Grassman. "The car smashed up against kind of the central concrete wall. I ran around the back side of the car to check on people that had gotten hit."

OSU Police Officer Alan Horujko was already at the scene for the fire alarm when he heard Artan's car hit.

"My initial thought was maybe this is some sort of medical accident or just some sort of terrible car crash," Horujko told Columbus Police. "When I moved up to here, I saw his driver's side door open, no one else in the vehicle. There was a second wave of people screaming and panicking. I asked what was going on. Someone said, 'He's got a machete. I asked where did he go. someone else, it could have been the same person, yelled, he went that way. and pointed down 19th."

Witnesses said Horujko drew his weapon and pursued Artan. Horujko said he repeatedly ordered Artan to drop the knife.

In a written statement, Horujko describes the second he opened fire.

"The suspect was looking directly at me as he charged toward me, but I could see no expression or emotion in his face or eyes. I believed the suspect was going to attack me with the knife, and I was in fear for my life. I shouted 'Drop it! Drop it!' But he continued moving directly toward me and, when he was approximately 20-25 feet away...I fired my gun. The suspect did not seem to react to my first two shots, except that he twisted his body slightly to the right as he raised the knife higher. As the suspect continued coming at me, I continued to fire my gun, and the suspect fell forward. As he landed on the ground his right arm and the knife were still moving out from his body toward me as I fired my last shot."

The FBI said it found a handwritten letter in Artan's bedroom. In it, he urged his family to stop being in his words, "moderate Muslims."

All nine of Artan's victims that day survived.

A Franklin County Grand Jury cleared Horujko of any criminal wrongdoing in his killing of Artan.

Before You Leave, Check This Out