The COSI on Wheels program has joined up with the Central Ohio Transit Authority to expand it.
The COSI on Wheels: Curbside experience is bringing science learning opportunities to Columbus City School locations, neighborhood parks and libraries.
The program is expected to help bridge the digital divide in communities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“COSI is proud to partner with COTA, Columbus City Schools and our other partners to provide STEM education to our community by leveraging our digital platform, COSI Connects,” said Dr. Frederic Bertley, COSI President and CEO. “It is important to us to be able to offer fantastic resources to keep kids engaged in science education during this pandemic and provide it right in their neighborhoods. We are thankful to the City of Columbus for supporting this incredible community partnership.”
“This is a great example of how creativity and partnerships can grow and thrive in times of great need,” said COTA President/CEO Joanna M. Pinkerton. “As the region’s mobility solutions provider, we are challenged daily to use STEM principles to find ways to ensure everyone has the mobility they need to access basic needs and essential services. COTA is proud to work with dynamic organizations such as COSI and Columbus City Schools to find equitable opportunities for prosperity, especially at an unprecedented time that challenges how our community will support younger generations to use their imaginations. We are glad to reinforce to Columbus students that learning can still happen outside the classroom and hope we can all approach this unique, new school year with an appetite to do the unexpected.”
Each event will feature a COSI science demonstration and coincides with the Columbus City Schools breakfast and lunch distribution program.
The schedule is listed below.
- August 6, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location - Starling K-8, 145 S Central Ave, Columbus, OH 43222
- August 11 and 13, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location - South High School, 1160 Ann St, Columbus, OH 43206
- August 18 and 20, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location - Woodward Park Middle School, 5151 Karl Rd, Columbus, OH 43229
- August 25 and 27, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location - Buckeye Middle School, 2950 Parsons Ave, Columbus, OH 43207
- September 1 and 3, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Location - Columbus Africentric Early College K-12, 3223 Allegheny Ave, Columbus, OH 43209