Breaking News
More () »

10 Investigates: Plane At The Center Of Cleveland's Ebola Scare Visited Three Other Airports Before Being Quarantined

10 Investigates has learned that the flight the Ebola patient took from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Dallas Ft. Worth International Airport Monday, subsequently went to three different airports before being quarantined.

10 Investigates has learned that the flight which carried a Dallas woman from Cleveland to Atlanta hours before she was diagnosed with ebola, flew on routes to three other cities before being quarantined.  

The Ohio Department of Health confirmed Wednesday that the woman was flown from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport to Dallas Ft. Worth International Airport Monday on Frontier Flight 1143.  Health officials said the woman had visited family in Akron, but did not know specifics  of where the 29-year-old nurse went or what happened with the plane after it arrived in Dallas.

However, 10 Investigates has revealed that the plane that carried the woman who was later identified as Amber Vinson subsequently went to three different airports before being quarantined.

The Frontier Airlines Airbus A320  flew to Cleveland’s Hopkins International Airport, Hollywood International Airport near Ft Lauderdale, Florida, and Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. That’s according to FlightAware, a company tracking flight data from government and airline sources.

FlightAware reports that passenger jet with tail number N220FR arrived at Dallas/Ft Worth International airport at 8:08 p.m. Central Time on Monday . Frontier Airlines says in a statement that the flight “remained overnight at the airport having completed its flying for the day at which point the aircraft received a thorough cleaning per our normal procedures within CDC guidelines prior to returning to service the next day. It was also cleaned again in Cleveland last night.”

10 Investigates repeatedly called and emailed Frontier Airlines to ask about their cleaning procedures. All calls went to voicemail and emails remain unanswered.

FlightAware reports the plane carrying Vinson then flew to multiple cities the next day. The plane left Dallas at 8:11 a.m. on Tuesday Oct. 14 and arrived at Cleveland at 11:14 a.m.

In about an hour, the plane was off again. This time, the flight then left Cleveland at 12:24 p.m. for Hollywood International Airport.

Once again, in only about an hour after landing, the plane took off; this time, it was again returning to Cleveland.

After arriving in Cleveland at 6:16 p.m. on Tuesday, the aircraft took off  at 7:24 p.m. and went to Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.  It left Atlanta at 10:12 p.m., arriving in Cleveland at 11:19 a.m.

The plane has remained in Cleveland since.

Frontier Airlines says they were notified of the Ebola exposure on that plane a 1.a.m. Eastern Time Wednesday morning.

It is believed that Vinson contracted the disease in Dallas while treating an Ebola patient.

Texas Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas has confirmed that a second healthcare worker who carried for an Ebola patient who died contracted the disease. The CDC reports that Ebola can only infect a person through direct contact with body fluids including saliva and mucus. Ebola can survive on surfaces such as countertops for several hours.

It is unclear when Vinson’s symptoms began to show. However, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters that the nurse had a temperature of 99.5 degrees before she got on the plane on Monday.