WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio | Columbus News, Weather & Sports |

Small Batteries Pose Big Choking Hazards For Children

Columbus health officials are warning parents about the dangers of children swallowing batteries. Find out more.

Public Health officials kicked off a campaign Monday to warn parents about the dangers of coin-sized lithium batteries.

The Battery Controlled project is aimed preventing children from swallowing the small batteries you find in products including remote controls, greeting cards, and calculators, 10TV News reported.

Health officials said they can get stuck in the throat when swallowed and cause severe burns in a matter of only two hours.

Susan Sadauskas said that her son had to undergo surgery after he swallowed a nickel-sized battery.

"We had done everything, everything we possibly could to baby proof our home and this was just not something we thought of,” Susan Sasauskas said. “The battery compartment did not have a screw he just popped the back of that out and ingested that battery."

Experts urged parents to examine devices and to keep batteries and devices out of the reach of children.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.