Central Ohio is still at Level 3 (Red) in the state's advisory system to track the spread of COVID-19 as of Feb. 25.
Though there were no changes to central Ohio, four counties around the state moved down to Level 2 (Orange): Holmes, Mercer, Shelby, Williams.
Those four join Gallia, Hocking, Monroe and Vinton at that level.
HOW IT WORKS: Ohio Public Health Advisory System
The public health advisory system has seven indicators to help determine a county's level:
- New cases per capita: Triggered when a county has an average of 50 cases per 100,000 people over a two-week period
- Sustained increase in new cases: Triggered by a five-day period of sustained growth
- Proportion of cases not congregate cases: Triggered when at least half of new cases originate from non-congregate settings during at least one of the past three weeks
- Sustained increase in ER visits: Triggered by an increase in COVID-19-related emergency room visits over a five-day period
- Sustained increase in outpatient visits: Triggered by an increase in COVID-19-related visits to outpatient settings (such as telehealth appointments) over a five-day period
- Sustained increase in new COVID-19 hospital admissions: Triggered by a five-day period of sustained growth in new admissions
- ICU bed occupancy: Triggered when at least 80% of a county's ICU beds are occupied over at least three of the last seven days
For however many indicators a county meets, they will be placed into one of four color-coded levels to display the possible risks involved:
- Level 1 (yellow, 0-1 indicators): Displays active community spread; all current health orders should be followed
- Level 2 (orange, 2-3 indicators): Displays increased exposure and spread; besides following all current orders, residents should also exercise a "high degree of caution"
- Level 3 (red, 4-5 indicators): Displays "very high" exposure and spread; residents should limit activities as much as possible
- Level 4 (purple, 6-7, indicators): "Severe" exposure and spread; only leave home for supplies and services