Former Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley has denied the accusation he raped a woman in a Cleveland hotel room earlier this month.
Conley released a statement through his management company proclaiming the allegations against him are completely false.
“I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field,” Conley said. “The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all.”
According to the police report, the incident happened April 9 at the Westin Hotel in downtown Cleveland.
The woman told police she met Conley in the elevator and he brought her back to his room.
The report states the woman declined sex with him before he had sex with her then kicked her out of the room.
The woman reported the incident to police and was taken to a local hospital where a rape kit was administered.
In the report, police said they tried to interview her further but she declined stating ‘she wanted to go home' and that 'her dignity was stripped from her in a manner of minutes.'
Police returned to the hotel and interviewed two of Conley’s friends who were in the room and said nothing happened between Conley and the woman and she was angry Conley asked her to leave.
“These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family,” Conley said. “There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place.”
No charges have been filed at this time.
Conley addresses that he will not be attending the NFL Draft this week in Philadelphia so he could avoid being a distraction to the NFL, other players and their families.
You can read the full statement from Conley below.
The allegations against me concerning the night of April 8/9 that have recently been reported in multiple media outlets are completely false. I did not commit a crime and have not been charged with a crime.
I pride myself on doing things the right way on and off the field. The things being said about me and what happened that night are not true and don't fit my character at all. I realize that I put myself in the situation and I could have used better judgment. However, I have worked tirelessly to put myself in position to have the honor of being an NFL draft pick and these untrue allegations are putting a huge cloud over my name and the NFL Draft.
These allegations appear to be an attempt to ruin this once in a lifetime experience for me and my family. There were several witnesses, including another female, who were present the entire time and have given statements that give an accurate account of what took place. We also have video evidence that further discredit and disprove other versions of these events. I am upset but realize that I am powerless when false accusations are made and people try to convict you in the court of public opinion. It's sad that your name can get dragged through the mud based upon untrue and malicious allegations alone.
I am completely confident that as the facts actually come out my name will be cleared.
I was excited about participating in Thursday's draft but I have decided that it would be selfish for me to stay and be a distraction to the NFL, the other players, and their families who have worked just as hard as me to enjoy the experience so I will not be in attendance.
I hope and look forward to the honor of being an NFL player and working to be the best representative, player, person and teammate that I can be for the team and the community I will be in.