Breaking News
More () »

Jason Meade pleads not guilty to murder charges in Casey Goodson Jr. death; released on $250,000 bond

Meade was indicted on murder and reckless homicide charges for the fatal shooting.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Former Franklin County Sheriff’s deputy Jason Meade pleaded not guilty on Friday to murder and reckless homicide charges for the fatal shooting of Casey Goodson Jr. 

Meade's bond was set at $250,000. Once the bond is paid, the judge ordered Meade can be released on his own recognizance, provided he does not possess a firearm or travel outside the state of Ohio. Additionally, the judge ordered Meade have no contact with Goodson’s family.  

By 2:45 p.m., Meade had posted his bond and was released from jail.

On Dec. 4, 2020, Meade was finishing up an unsuccessful search for a fugitive with the U.S. Marshals Office fugitive task force when he shot Goodson, who was not the subject of the fugitive search.  

Meade alleges Goodson pointed a gun at him prior to the shooting, and that he demanded Goodson “drop the gun” before firing. 

An autopsy shows Goodson was shot five times in the back and once in the buttocks as he entered a home. Investigators recovered a gun at the scene, which Goodson’s family confirmed he was licensed to carry. 

Meade was placed on administrative leave after the shooting before leaving the sheriff’s office on disability retirement in July.

In court on Friday, Special Prosecutor H. Tim Merkle argued Goodson did not provoke the shooting.

“Investigators found no evidence other than Mr. Meade's self-serving uncorroborated statement to show that Casey presented a threat to Mr. Meade,” Merkle said.

Defense attorney Mark Collins said the prosecution did not address what allegedly happened before the shooting.

In a statement released Thursday, Meade said he witnessed Goodson waving a gun at a vehicle before pointing the weapon at Meade himself. 

Meade then followed Goodson to a house where he identified himself as a law enforcement officer and pleaded with him to show his hands.

“What you didn't hear from the prosecution was stuff about the gun waiving earlier. What you didn't hear from the prosecution was that he identified himself as a US Marshal, not a tactical vest. He had his US Marshal's credentials on and the equipment he uses every day,” said defense attorney Mark Collins.

More information was revealed in court about the gun authorities recovered at the scene. Police recovered a Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol from the floor where Goodson fell after being shot.

“It was found under his body and when my client tried to revive him or roll him over, that's where the gun was. My client then moved the gun to a different area so no one had access to it,” Collins said.

Goodson’s family said if he had been carrying a gun he had a license to do so.