Fire officials said two boys playing with matches sparked a fire at a southeast Columbus vacant home on Wednesday afternoon.
One of the boys, who were between 6 and 8, suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Nationwide Children's Hospital in critical condition.
Fire crews said that the home, located in the 1600 block of South Hamilton Road, went up in flames at about 3 p.m.
Officials said the boys lit trash on fire.
Officials said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen and quickly spread throughout the home.
The other boy, who was uninjured in the fire, ran from the home when the fire started.
Firefighters said that the injured child was trying to hide under blankets when firefighters arrived. They said that is what led to his injuries.
Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.