Mike Davis released from jail after arraignment on child pornography charge

Mike Davis appears in court | Sept. 6, 2019 (WBNS-10TV)

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Meteorologist Mike Davis bonded out of jail Friday morning after appearing in court to answer to a child pornography charge. As he left the Franklin County Jail, he was met with questions by a gaggle of reporters.

“I really am not allowed to make any comment but thanks, guys,” Davis said.

When asked for an explanation, Davis said: “I know. I just can’t say anymore… thanks.”

But as reporters continued to walk with Davis, the long-time and now-former meteorologist with WBNS-10TV continued to talk.

When pressed about if he downloaded images at home or at WBNS, or both, Davis said: “Nothing happened at work.”

Authorities allege that Davis both sent and received images that show children being sexually exploited. He is currently facing one charge of pandering sexually-oriented material involving a minor. A court record associated with the charge says one of the images involved in the case involved a prepubescent juvenile female involved in a sex act.

Authorities with the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force said it had been investigating Davis for weeks based on a tip.

When reporters asked Davis if the images were of local children or someone he knew, Davis said: “never interacted with anyone.”

Davis was arrested Thursday at his Upper Arlington home. Police served a search warrant there looking for electronics before coming to WBNS and seizing his personal laptop and four thumb drives.

When asked to characterize his behavior, Chief Deputy Rick Minerd with the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office said he was cooperative.

During his court appearance Friday, Davis stood silently in a jail jumpsuit with his hands folded together looking down at the ground.

Davis is charged with one count of pandering sexually-oriented material involving a minor - a second-degree felony.

But more charges could be coming. Both his attorney Terry Sherman and the Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office acknowledge that Davis’ case in municipal court could be dismissed to allow for a potential grand jury investigation.

In arguing against a bond, Sherman said that it could be months down the line before the case is presented to a grand jury because of forensic testing that is needed on Davis’ computer.

“We have him under control we are getting him counseling we are working to try to right some of the things that happened in this case,” Sherman told the judge.

Davis, who had worked at 10TV’s weather department for 31 years, will not be allowed to leave Franklin County and will be required to turn over his passport, a judge said Friday.

Attorney Terry Sherman argued for a recognizance bond but the judge wouldn’t have it - setting a $25,000 cash and $25,000 appearance bond.

Davis bonded out after a bondsman paid $2,500, court records show.

Late Friday afternoon, we learned from WBNS-10TV management that it had decided to terminate its employment agreement with Mike Davis.

A statement provided by management read:

"It has been a difficult few days and our team has been shocked by this news. We have decided to end our relationship with Mike Davis due to a violation of certain terms of his employment with WBNS."

Filed under: