5 officers involved in shootings cleared of wrongdoing by Columbus police

File photo - Columbus Police (WBNS-10TV)

COLUMBUS -- Five police officers involved in shootings were found to be within the department's use of firearms policy, according to the Columbus Division of Police.

Officer Kimberly Wilkinson, involved in a shooting in February of 2017; Officers Brian Newsome, Samuel Peck and Sergeant Trent Taylor, involved in a shooting in April of 2015; and Officer Nathan Komisarek, involved in a shooting in April of 2017, all were cleared of wrongdoing.


Officer Kimberly Wilkinson

Wilkinson’s incident took place on Feb. 10, 2017 when, according to police, at 10:10 a.m., officers arrived on Silver Oak Drive to find Keith Marshall fleeing the area in a pickup truck. Marshall led officers on a brief pursuit when he stopped in the 6200 block of Lowridge Drive.

Marshall exited the vehicle with a gun in his hand and officer Wilkinson fired at Marshall and missed. Marshall ran a short distance, turned the gun on himself and fired, police say.

Additional officers arrived at Silver Oak drive to find a woman, Classie Mixon, suffering from several gunshot wounds. She was pronounced dead at the scene.


Officers Brian Newsome, Samuel Peck and Sergeant Trent Taylor

The shooting involving Newsome, Peck and Taylor happened on April 1, 2015, when several officers heard a shooting in the area of East Kossuth Street and Parsons Avenue and observed hat they thought was a man shooting at another man. According to police, the Sergeants exited their vehicles and confronted the armed man. Backup officers arrived momentarily and also confronted the suspect, at which point Newsome, Peck and Taylor opened fire, ending the confrontation.

Roy Harvison Jr. was shot by police but recovered and pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated murder in the deaths of Jenea Harvison and Donnell McDonald. According to Public Information Officer Sgt. Dean Worthington, Harvison Jr. died from his injuries.


Officer Nathan Komisarek

The shooting involving Komisarek happened on April 6, 2017, just outside of Mt. Carmel St. Ann’s Hospital.

The man, 39-year-old Christopher Wade, was experiencing psychological problems and was taken to Mt. Carmel by medics. Medics asked police to follow them to the hospital.

According to police, once Wade arrived at the hospital he got out of the ambulance, walked into the emergency room carrying a bag. Witnesses say Wade looked back and saw officers and grabbed a gun. The witnesses also said that officers repeatedly asked the man to get on the ground, but he did not comply. Komisarek fired at the man who was rushed into the emergency room and later died.

Further investigation revealed that the suspect’s gun was a bb gun.

Filed under: