PORT CLINTON, Ohio (AP) — A conservancy group in northern Ohio hopes a newly restored lighthouse can be returned to the Lake Erie shore.
Group member Rich Norgard tells the Port Clinton News-Herald (http://ohne.ws/1t51dmz ) that an Ohio Department of Natural Resources office gave approval for the Port Clinton Lighthouse to go to a designated space at a park, but the city must sign off, too.
Volunteers and the Lighthouse Conservancy have worked since last summer to restore the wooden structure. It went into service in 1896 and was relocated in 1952 to a river marina, which donated it a few years ago for refurbishment.
If things go as planned, the conservancy will be responsible for maintaining it.
Information from: Port Clinton News-Herald, http://www.portclintonnewsherald.com