GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) — The athletes' village at the Commonwealth Games welcomed 1,000 more competitors from 25 countries on Monday, and none of them should have to worry about a stomach virus that affected staff at the site last week.
Games officials said an outbreak of norovirus, a highly contagious gastrointestinal illness which affected 53 employees, was under control. A temporary toilet facility identified as a likely source of the infection was shut down.
The news came as a relief to Commonwealth Games Federation officials. Four years ago in New Delhi, more than a dozen swimmers from Australia and England fell ill from a stomach virus at the swimming venue, and before the India games began there were complaints about unsanitary conditions in the athletes' village.