Ohioan hurt in explosion warns of fireworks danger

AKRON, Ohio (AP) — A northeast Ohio man who was badly hurt in a fireworks explosion a year ago says he's adjusting to life with his injuries and only blames himself for what happened.

Kevin Skubic of Akron was injured last July when he picked up a bag of about 50 homemade explosive sticks from a home and static electricity sparked an explosion that shook the block.

The 35-year-old bricklayer lost his lower left arm, which was replaced by a prosthetic. His right eye was badly hurt, and he had skin grafts after suffering shrapnel wounds.

He tells the Akron Beacon Journal he was a fireworks enthusiast and would like to be able to do his own displays again but that it's not worth what it cost him. Now he's quick to remind others about the dangers of fireworks.

The fireworks seller was sentenced to a year in prison for unlawfully making explosives.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.