BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — A 5-year-old developmentally delayed boy has told firefighters he set the fire that killed his father last week in their Buffalo home.
The boy was rescued last Thursday evening by a neighbor who climbed a ladder to a second-floor window and coaxed the child into his arms. The Buffalo News says (http://bit.ly/1pLgKLd ) the boy then informed firefighters who arrived moments later that he had been playing with a cigarette lighter that sparked the blaze.
Firefighters found the 56-year-old father, Tony Miles, in an upstairs bathroom. He died a short time later at Erie County Medical Center.
The neighbor who saved the boy says the child was wearing a diaper at the time. He says the child didn't want to leave the burning home because his father was still inside.