Man pours gas on campfire, 2 children burned

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) — Two young Coeur d'Alene children are hospitalized in Seattle after suffering burns when a gas can exploded near a backyard fire pit.

Police say a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire at about 5 p.m. Saturday when the can caught fire. He threw the can behind him, where it exploded and burned an 8-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl.

The Spokesman-Review reports the boy was hospitalized in intensive care with first-and second-degree burns on 21 percent of his body, mostly his legs and arms. The girl suffered burns in 9 percent of her body.

Sgt. Christie Wood says police have forwarded the results of their investigation to Kootenai County prosecutors to determine if charges should be filed.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.