Lawyers argue over blame in Giants fan beating


LOS ANGELES (AP) — The lawyer for the San Francisco Giants fan badly beaten at Dodger Stadium has told a jury that the Los Angeles team failed its responsibility to keep fans safe.

Attorney Tom Girardi made the assertion Thursday in closing arguments of the trial of a negligence lawsuit filed against the team and former owner Frank McCourt.

Forty-five-year-old Bryan Stow suffered severe brain damage in the attack by two Dodgers fans in the stadium parking lot after the 2011 Opening Day game between the rival California teams.

The lawsuit is seeking millions of dollars in damages to cover Stow's lifetime medical care and lost earnings.

The case is expected to be submitted to jurors Thursday afternoon following closing arguments by the defense.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Lawyers for a San Francisco Giants fan who suffered devastating injuries when he was beaten at Dodger Stadium have called a parade of witnesses in a campaign to prove there wasn't sufficient security when the California rivals played on 2011's opening day.

The Dodgers and their former owner, Frank McCourt, insist the security staff was larger than ever and no one could have prevented the assault on Bryan Stow by two Dodgers fans.

Stow's negligence lawsuit is expected to be placed in jurors' hands Thursday after lawyers get their last chance to give their opposing views on who's to blame.

The closing arguments come a day after Stow, who suffered catastrophic brain damage in the assault in a Dodger Stadium parking lot, sat front and center in court.

Stow didn't testify, but his appearance in a wheelchair showed jurors the ghastly scars on his head where his skull was temporarily removed during treatment.

Jurors also saw a brief video of the two men who went to prison for beating Stow. The defense claims Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who pleaded guilty in the assault, were the only ones responsible for the beating.

Stow's lawyer, Tom Girardi, said outside court that the 45-year-old former paramedic has no memory of the events. Girardi said he has had to explain to Stow why he is sitting in court.

The plaintiffs are seeking about $50 million for Stow's lifetime care.

©2016 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.