Chemical mistaken for cheese sickens customer

EASTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a customer at an Easthampton restaurant became sick when an employee sprinkled a chemical cleaner on the food that had been mistaken for grated cheese.

City health agent Jackie Duda says the teenager sickened Sunday at Riff's Joint was driven to an emergency room immediately for treatment. She says the teen is recovering and no one else is believed to have eaten the cleaner. The teen's name was not made public.

Duda says the powdered chemical had been removed from its original container and placed in another that was not properly labeled.

Duda tells The Daily Hampshire Gazette (http://bit.ly/1kxCB5y ) the restaurant has rectified the issues that led to the poisoning.

Co-owner Jeffrey Cahill called it an isolated incident caused by "gross human error" that won't happen again.

___

Information from: Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, Mass.), http://www.gazettenet.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.