Lawsuit filed in missing NYC autistic boy's death

NEW YORK (AP) — The mother of an autistic teenager who disappeared from his New York City school and was later found dead has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.

The Daily News (http://nydn.us/Tbcupi ) says the lawsuit was filed last week in Queens Supreme Court. It accuses the city, the Department of Education, NYPD and numerous individuals of negligence for allowing the 14-year-old boy to leave the school.

Avonte Oquendo (oh-KEHN'-doh) disappeared from his Queens school on Oct. 4, setting off a massive search that included extensive searches of subway tunnels and regular announcements over the public-address system at subway stations.

His remains were found in the East River in January, several miles from where he vanished.

A city Law Department spokesman said the lawsuit was under review.

___

Information from: Daily News, http://www.nydailynews.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.