State Dept.: Americans killed 2 Yemenis last month

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says that two officers at the U.S. Embassy in Yemen shot and killed a pair of armed Yemeni civilians during an attempted abduction of the Americans last month.

A spokeswoman for the State Department said in a statement Friday that both officers have left Yemen. The government is providing no other details.

Citing unidentified U.S. officials, The New York Times reports that the Americans were a CIA officer and a lieutenant colonel with the elite Joint Special Operations Command. They were visiting a barber shop in an upscale district in Yemen's capital.

Earlier this week, the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa closed temporarily because of attacks on Westerners.

The U.S. has waged a heavy campaign of drone strikes in Yemen against the group al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.