NY hospital bans e-cigarettes after fire, injury

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — A Syracuse hospital is banning electronic cigarettes after a female patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.

Fire department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard of Syracuse (http://bit.ly/QuQKDE ) the exact cause of the fire last month at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he confirms the patient had a battery-powered electronic cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.

Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is back home and doing well.

Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have told patients e-cigarette use is not allowed. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use inside its buildings or outdoors on its campus.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.