TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — A building that once housed prisoners in northern Ohio is to be demolished with the site to be used for a conservation area.
The former Toledo House of Correction near the village of Whitehouse operated from 1918 until 1991. It housed people serving sentences for misdemeanor crimes. Inmates grew vegetables, raised hogs and cattle and quarried limestone.
The (Toledo) Blade (http://bit.ly/1j3LHnl ) reports that Metroparks of the Toledo Area plans to demolish the three-story building commonly known as the workhouse this summer and develop the site as the Blue Creek Conservation Area.
A portion of Blue Creek has been open for daily public use since 2013, with a walking trail and quarry pond.
Plans call for signs informing park visitors of the property's past as a working prison farm.
Information from: The Blade, http://www.toledoblade.com/