Harold Newman died of carbon monoxide poisoning

JAMESTOWN, N.D. (AP) — Police say preliminary autopsy results indicate prominent North Dakota businessman Harold Newman died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities say the 80-year-old founder of Newman Signs accidently left a car running in the garage attached to his Jamestown home on Feb. 19. He went to bed and succumbed to the lethal gas.

KQDJ radio reports that final autopsy results are expected in about six weeks.

Newman started his highway sign and billboard business in Jamestown in 1956. It later expanded to Fargo and Roswell, N.M.

Newman in 1998 gave North Dakota State University $1.5 million to complete a financing package for a baseball stadium that now carries his name.

©2016 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.