LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by Southern California-based Spanish-language radio host Eddie "Piolin" Sotelo against six former Univision employees accusing them of a $4.9 million extortion plot.
The civil lawsuit filed in August was tossed last week by Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Richard A. Stone.
Robert R. Clayton, lawyer for the employees, said Thursday that the ruling indicates the judge believed Sotelo sued to intimidate his clients and prevent them from filing their own lawsuits.
Sotelo's lawyer Jeffrey Spitz says he was disappointed and will appeal.
Sotelo's long-running show, "Piolin por la Manana," was abruptly canceled by Univision without explanation last year. He later signed a contract with SiriusXM satellite radio.
The suit's dismissal was reported late Wednesday by the Los Angeles Times.