Several hospitalized after CO leak in Douglas

DOUGLAS, Mass. (AP) — At least six children and two adults have been taken to the hospital as a precaution after high levels of carbon monoxide were detected at Douglas town hall.

Emergency crews responded to the Douglas Municipal Center at about 10:30 a.m. Monday.

The building also contains an early childhood education center for kindergarten age children.

Police Chief Patrick Foley says most of those hospitalized were complaining of headaches and nausea.

Most of the 77 children at the school were transported to a nearby elementary school where they were being evaluated.

Authorities think the high levels of CO detected in the building were caused by a malfunctioning oil furnace.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.