Relative blames food poisoning for 2 Bali deaths

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A relative says an Australian woman and her daughter who became ill and died while on the tourist island of Bali were probably killed by a form of food poisoning.

Noeline Bischoff and 14-year-old Yvana died last month, less than a day after eating fish at a restaurant on the Indonesian island.

Their bodies were returned to the Australian city of Brisbane.

The mother's brother, Malcolm Bischoff, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio on Wednesday that forensic pathologists told the family that preliminary autopsy results showed both died of scombroid poisoning.

The poisoning is caused by high concentrations of histamine — a compound that triggers allergic reactions — from bacteria in spoiling fish.

The coroner's office confirmed in a statement that the family had been told the "possible causes of death."

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.