Leaky tail pipe sends Rapid City girl to hospital

RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) — A Rapid City child is doing well after her mom found her unconscious in the back seat of the car from what turned out to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

Lavita Ramirez told KOTA-TV (http://bit.ly/1dgKp82 ) she initially didn't know what happened to 9-year-old Leticia.

Bystanders called paramedics and the girl was taken to a hospital and given oxygen.

The fire department determined the car had damage to its exhaust pipe. Ramirez recently bought the used car from a tow yard.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include drowsiness, nausea, headache and flu-like systems.

___

Information from: KOTA-TV, http://www.kotatv.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.