COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio's state fire marshal reminds Ohioans that frigid winter temperatures mean an increased risk of home fires and urges precautions.
State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers says the use of candles, heating sources and makeshift cooking methods can significantly increase fire risks. He urges using kerosene heaters and space heaters according to manufacturer instructions, keeping them at least three feet from combustible materials.
Kitchen oven ranges should not be used to heat homes and generators or other fuel-powered machines should be used outside only. Carbon monoxide fumes are odorless and can quickly overwhelm people indoors.
Ohioans using candles should keep the flame away from combustible objects and out of children's reach.
Flowers also says smoke alarms should be installed on every level of a home, inside and outside of sleeping areas.