Spaghetti detected as school food poisoning source

HONOLULU (AP) — State health officials say food poisoning at Waipahu Elementary School was caused by bacteria in cafeteria spaghetti.

More than 30 children and two adults became sick Dec. 10.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser (http://bit.ly/18OyDLF) reports laboratory tests and a heath inspection report conclude that spaghetti prepared the previous day may not have been properly cooled.

The report also says the spaghetti may not have been properly reheated the morning of Dec. 10.

The report says the food treatment could have created an environment for bacteria growth.

Health Department sanitation branch chief Peter Oshiro says in a release that the cafeteria staff is being retrained.

Meals were brought in from a neighboring school during the inspection. Deliveries will continue until health safety training is complete.

___

Information from: Honolulu Star-Advertiser, http://www.staradvertiser.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.