COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio officials are drawing attention to the dangers of carbon monoxide exposure after a higher than usual annual increase in emergency room visits and poison-control calls related to the colorless, odorless gas.
The Ohio Department of Health and State Fire Marshal say restarting a furnace that's been idle or increased usage of generators and portable heating devices may help explain the trend.
They suggest these safety tips:
—Install a battery-powered CO detector in your home and check it every six months.
—Have your heating system, water heater and other gas, oil and coal-burning appliances serviced annually.
—Never run a car inside a garage attached to the house.
—Never heat your house with a gas oven.
State Fire Marshall: http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/fire_CarbonMonoxide.pdf
Centers for Disease Control: http://www.cdc.gov/co/guidelines.htm
Department of Health: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/features/odhfeatures/codangers.aspx