NEW YORK (AP) — New York City authorities say a fire at a Bronx apartment building that killed three boys may have been started by candles after electricity was cut.
Fire officials say Friday's fire started in a second-floor apartment of a six-story building just blocks from Yankee Stadium. Five-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis and 4-month-old Michael Turner were pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police say their 25-year-old mother and her two other children, a, 4-year-old girl and 4-month-old girl, are stable.
Fire marshals are still investigating the blaze, but authorities said Saturday she had been using candles to light the home. Con Edison says the power was cut because of unpaid bills.
The building is about 10 blocks from the site of a 2007 fire that killed 10 people, including 8 children.