PSP confirmed in Ketchikan shellfish

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — State health officials say they have confirmed a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning near Ketchikan.

Greg Wilkinson of the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services tells KINY-AM ( that a woman was hospitalized Tuesday.

She had eaten cockles and clams collected on Gravina Island and within minutes experienced numb lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes and numbness from feet to knees.

She was treated and released at the hospital.

A lab confirmed PSP on Friday.

Wilkinson says PSP is an ever present danger and can't be cooked or cleaned out of shellfish.

He says people should seek immediate care if they experience symptoms and that PSP can kill.


Information from: KINY-AM,

©2016 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.