KEARNS, Utah (AP) — Two adults and two children were taken to the hospital after lethal levels of carbon monoxide were found at a home in Kearns.
Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham (MEEK'-uhm) says crews responded about 7 a.m. Wednesday to the house near 4400 West and 5800 South.
Mecham says the mother smelled something strange in the house and called gas company Questar. Officials say a technician who responded measured dangerously high carbon monoxide levels.
Mecham says the technician was able to pull the woman's adult brother from the basement, and he was taken to the hospital in serious condition.
The mother and her two young children were taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Mecham says a vent pipe had broken and was releasing toxins into the basement instead of outside.