Grand Rapids-area boy dies; meningitis blamed

WYOMING, Mich. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy in the Grand Rapids area has died, a likely victim of bacterial meningitis.

Ethan Giang died suddenly Thursday. St. John Vianney School in Wyoming told parents that bacterial meningitis is not considered contagious like a cold or flu. Principal Gregg Bruno says he wants to "convey fact and dispel fear."

Nonetheless, Mlive.com (http://bit.ly/15nXKFi) reports that the school was scrubbed after Ethan's death. The third-grader's funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. John Vianney Catholic Church.

High fever, a headache and a stiff neck are symptoms of bacterial meningitis.

___

Information from: The Grand Rapids Press, http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.