Death of Utah doctor, girlfriend ruled overdose

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Medical examiners say the death of a plastic surgeon and his girlfriend came from an overdose of a common anesthesia.

Orem police are releasing the findings of the examiner's report into the August death of 47-year-old surgeon Joseph Berg and 49-year-old Lucy Schwartz.

Authorities say the couple inhaled Isoflurane, an anesthetic used in surgeries, at the surgeon's home.

Orem police Sgt. Craig Martinez says detectives found no evidence the overdose was intentional and are ruling the deaths accidental.

Authorities have said Berg's life was in a free-fall. He'd lost his medical license, was being sued for malpractice, his marriage was crumbling and he was losing his home.

Berg had just finished six months in jail on a conviction for binding and gagging Schwartz with medical tape inside a closet.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.