Second Ohio student dies after New Year's Day fire

CINCINNATI (AP) — A 20-year-old student at the University of Cincinnati has died two weeks after a house fire that also killed one of her roommates.

University of Cincinnati Medical Center spokeswoman Diana Lara says that 20-year-old Ellen Garner died from her injuries Monday morning.

Garner of Tipp City had been in critical condition since the Jan. 1 fire. The fire was blamed on a space heater placed too close to bedding.

Authorities said there were 10 people in the house near campus when the fire began.

Flames were confined to the second floor but smoke filled the third floor, where Garner and 21-year-old Chad Kohls were sleeping. Kohls died one week after the fire.

A post from Garner's family on Facebook says a service is being planned for Friday.

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.