Report: Norovirus outbreak checked at fire camp

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) — A new report says norovirus broke out among the food staff of firefighters battling a large wildfire in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

But fire officials took before the virus could spread to the entire camp and seriously affect their ability to respond to the 20,000-acre Elbow Pass Complex of fires west of Augusta.

The Missoulian (http://bit.ly/Up1rGF ) reports that 114 people were assigned to the firefighting camp when three food handlers got sick on Aug. 4.

The Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation's "Lessons Learned" report says the incident commander called in health inspectors and shut the kitchen for cleaning.

A total of seven people fell ill.

Montana State Forester Bob Harrington says it was a nasty outbreak that had the potential to spread to the entire camp.

___

Information from: Missoulian, http://www.missoulian.com

©2014 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.